U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Skip to main content

MEDCOE Credentialing Program (MEDCP)


This website is designed to support the initiatives of the Army Credentialing and Continuing Education Services for Soldiers ACCESS (External Link) program. On this website you will find information on MEDCOE specific programs as well as broader programs under the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, and the Department of Labor.

Army University is part of a university system under the U.S. Army`s Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). As the proponent for the ACCESS program, they are a single source for a multitude of educational opportunities for Soldiers and Civilians of all ranks and grades. This MEDCOE website is focused more specifically on military opportunities particularly for enlisted Service Members in order to meet the guidance published in numerous directives (see reference section). If the information you are looking for is not found on our website, we encourage you to visit Army University`s ACCESS (External Link) website or contact us directly for more information.

The programs under ACCESS that the MEDCOE can assist Soldiers in the 68 Career Management Field series with are: Institutionally Delivered Credentials (IDC), Degree Completions, and Apprenticeships. The following provides more information on those programs.

The IDC program provides funding for two types of enlisted credentials: Mandatory and Voluntary

Mandatory Credentials

-68W Combat Medic Specialist Emergency Medical Technician Certification

-68C Licensed Practical Nurse License

Since these are mandatory credentials that must be obtained during AIT to graduate from the course, there is no separate application process for these MOSs.

Voluntary Credentials

Currently the MEDCOE will fund voluntary credentials for the following MOSs: 68D, 68L, 68P, 68V, and 68X. These MOSs were selected for the IDC program because they have credentials that are closely aligned to their MOS, are not funded by another agency, and support the program’s accreditation. Other MOSs may be considered for inclusion in the future if the associated credential is listed on the Army COOL website as being “Most” aligned with the MOS. The benefit of using the IDC program instead of obtaining Credentialing Assistance through the COOL website is that IDC programs are funded by the MEDCOE instead of tapping into your Tuition Assistance (TA). This will allow you to save your TA funding for another credential or for a degree program.

IDC may pay for both your certification exam cost (up to $800) as well as study material. It will be up to you to ensure you are adequately prepared to take the certification or licensing exam, but our MEDCOE Subject Matter Experts can help you with your funding application and the assessment of your preparedness upon request. If you are in MOSs 68D, 68L, 68P, 68V, or 68X, please click on the appropriate link below to find more information on the application process specific to these MOSs:

68D Operating Room Specialist

68L Occupational Therapy Specialist

68P Radiology Specialist

68V Respiratory Therapy Specialist

68X Behavioral Health Specialist

There are also several programs under the Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) for which credentials are funded. Though not part of the IDC program, they are fully funded by METC and also do not tap into TA. It is not mandatory that you obtain a credential for any MOS other than 68C or 68W but obtaining one closely aligned with your MOS sets you up for success in both your military and post-military career.

Additional information about Institutionally Delivered Credentials that you may find helpful can be found on the Army COOL website under the MOS Proponent Funded page at this link: Army COOL - Costs and Funding - MOS Proponent Funded (osd.mil)

The MEDCOE has partnered with the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences` College of Allied Health Sciences (USU CAHS) to provide degree pathways for several programs. Currently, the MEDCOE has degree pathways established for the Health Physics program (ASI N4), the Combat Paramedic Program (ASI 3P), and will soon have this established for the MOS 68C Practical Nurse course. MEDCoE additionally coordinated through the Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) on Fort Sam Houston, TX and the Tri-Service Optical School in Yorktown, VA for Soldiers to earn college credit, and potentially an associate degree, from USU CAHS for Preventive Medicine (MOS 68S), Medical Laboratory (MOS 68K), Nutrition Science (MOS 68M), Occupational Therapy (MOS 68L), Radiology (MOS 68P), Respiratory Therapy (MOS 68V), Eye Specialist (MOS 68Y), and Pharmacy (MOS 68Q), and Optical Laboratory (MOS 68H) specialties. This partnership with USU CAHS will continue to grow until all eligible programs have a degree pathway established or offers college credit that is transferable to another university.

The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) is an accredited institution and a member of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) www.msche.org (External Link). The Commission`s most recent action on the institution`s accreditation status on June 27, 2013 was to reaffirm accreditation. MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

MEDCOE is a USU College of Allied Health Sciences (CAHS) Additional Location. Additional Information regarding the CAHS and its programs can be found at https://cahs.usuhs.edu (External Link).

The Department of Defense provides Service members of any Service the opportunity to earn a Department of Labor (DoL) Certificate for completion of an apprenticeship program. The apprenticeship program particularly benefits Soldiers with an MOS for which there is no credentialing opportunity (or limited opportunity). By completing an apprenticeship program that is either time-based (E4 or below) or competency based (E5 and above), Soldiers can earn an industry recognized certification that will make your skillset more marketable in the civilian sector. More information about the apprenticeship program can be found at the USMAP website.

Some of these? All of these? The answer is it really depends. If you are in an MOS that has a Star credential aligned to it that is in a career field that is in demand, you`ll probably want to get that credential. For example, a 68X Behavioral Health Specialist would benefit more from a certification as a Registered Behavior Technician over an apprenticeship. These credentials can be obtained either through MEDCOE`s IDC program, through METC, or through the COOL website. But some MOSs do not align well with a civilian certification and pursuing an apprenticeship certification may be more advantageous. An example of this may be the 68E Dental Specialist. The Army Dental program has a different mission than a civilian dentist office and does not align well with civilian certifications. In this case, an apprenticeship may be more beneficial in a post-military career as it attests to your experience level and can be a steppingstone to a higher-level credential. Can you do both?  In some cases, you can but if you have a marketable credential associated with your MOS, we recommend that you pursue this first.

Lastly, whether you get a credential or a DOL apprenticeship certificate, you will almost always benefit by completing your degree. The Army University website provides great information on Tuition Assistance that can be used to get those college credits you need. Your first order of business is to be the best Soldier you can be but there will come a time not long into your career where you will want to begin building upon your resume and the Army is committed to helping you reach your goals.

You may wish to contact your local education center for guidance, but you can also contact the MEDCP office at 210-221-6930 or via email at usarmy.jbsa.medical-coe.list.credentialing-prog@army.mil.